Friday, July 24, 2009

Bonds are Formed Through Rituals

Bonds are Formed Through Rituals


I have been pondering this statement for most of the afternoon. Someone said this to me, and at first I thought of my Fiance - I thought "Hmm, maybe we should have some sort of ritual, like going out on a date once a month". Then a few minutes later I thought "Hmm, my son...we currently have a ritual at bed time where we spend about an hour together every night before bed" I believe this ritual has created a bond between me and my son that makes our evenings together very special.

When you really stop and think about it, this is a wonderful saying - its completely true.

Later this evening - the more I pondered this saying, it clicked.

This is even more true when it comes to the Lord.
I started asking myself "Have I made a ritual with the Lord of when I would actually pray, or do I just do this when its convenient for me?" What I mean is, I don't expect to make a ritual to get up every morning at 7am and pray, what I mean is....When I'm struggling or upset do I look to the Lord, or try to figure it out on my own? The same when things are going well...When I'm happy or feeling blessed, do I remember to look up and thank the Lord for everything he has given me? I know I'm not doing any of this, only when its convenient or I just happen to remember.

My mission this week...to make my time with the Lord a ritual!
For every smile: I will thank the Lord
For every meal: I will thank the Lord
When I am able to pay for something at the store: I will thank the Lord
For every morning: I will thank the Lord
For every afternoon: I will thank the Lord
For everything: I will thank the Lord

For every struggle: I will ask for help, and then thank the Lord for giving me strength to make it through.

I can think of a million reasons to talk to the Lord everyday, currently I'm not.

This week...I will!

How can expect to have a relationship or true bond with God when I'm only talking to him when it's convenient?



2 comments:

  1. I think this is so important. I think that making time for relationship with God effects all aspects of our lives.

    Joyce Meyer said the other day....We just spend time with God when we have time...Pretend God is your husband....How would your husband feel if you only talked to him once a week at church or for just 45 minutes.

    God wants us to talk to him. I think that some people get confused about the word "PRAY". All prayer is is having a conversation with God. I have a ritual where when I drive to work in the morning I talk to God all the way there. I pray throughout the day and read evenings mostly. But every morning I check in with God. If I don't I feel out of sorts.

    OK I am done hogging your comment section. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am testing you right now... :)

    ReplyDelete